In most homes, ducts connect the heating and cooling systems to the registers in the individual living spaces. However, over time, these conduits can get filled with a lot more than conditioned air. Everything from pet hair to food particles to coins can end up in your heating and cooling ducts. Having your ducts cleaned is not something you have to do every season. HVAC professionals recommend having this done every three to five years.
Benefits of having your ducts cleaned
1. Improving your indoor air quality. Your heating and cooling systems recirculate your the air inside your home between three and seven times each day. That means is your ducts are laden with dust and pet hair, that material is also getting recirculated, to the detriment of your indoor air quality.
2. Saving energy. When your heating or cleaning system has to push dust around your ducts, it forces the motor to work harder, using more electricity and/or natural gas. Clean ducts will not only help to save energy (and be kinder to the planet), but will help to save you money on your monthly utility bills.
3. Keeping your family healthy. Excess dust and pet allergens in the air can aggravate allergies and make breathing conditions like asthma and COPD worse. Removing that dust and pet hair from your ducts can help your family to breathe easier.
4. Removing dust from remodeling. If you've recently completed a home remodeling effort, you know how much duct can be generated by even the simplest project. Sanding wood, removing and replacing drywall and tearing down walls can all create extra dust, the majority of which will ultimately find its way to your duct system.
5. Reducing smoke damage. If you have a smoker in your household, you likely know how the tar and nicotine generated by this habit can yellow your cabinets, walls and baseboards, not to mention your upholstery and other possessions. These substances, too, will get recirculated via your duct system. Cleaning this conduits every few years can help keep you from having to repaint your walls so often.
While duct cleaning may not be the right choice for every homeowner, having your ducts cleaned periodically will help to improve the quality of the air inside your home, help you save energy, help reduce damage to your home from smoking and make it easier to breathe in your home. Contact a business, such as Coastal Home Services, for more information.